Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there anything better than Harman FB Gloss?

Re: Is there anything better than Harman FB Gloss?

Tetenal Spectra Jet Premium High Gloss.

jetcode

The Hanhemuhle Baryta is really nice, bright white, great paper, nice contrast.

Hahnemuhle is hard to beat. Pricey but good. Has anyone tried Hahnemuhle Bamboo? I have just brought it in and am still fine tuning things. I have seen some very nice prints others have made on the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    Hahnemuhle is hard to beat. Pricey but good.
    The Hahnemuhle in rolls is not bad price-wise.

The Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta is $123 for a 24"x39' roll at Calumet. The Illford Gold Fibre Silk is $110 for a 24"x40' roll. Very small difference considering that the Hahnemuhle is 2x as much in cut sheet and the Ilford is the cheapest of the "big 4"

(Harman, Hahnemuhle, Innova and the Epson Exhibition Fiber - my favorite, but no rolls, sheets only. Really expensive too.)

I standardized on the Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta, Innova Gloss Warmtone, and Harman Gloss FB Ai for my premium papers. The Innova for B&W, the other two for color.

The Hahnemuhle has a slight texture that is better for some subjects for me, like portraits.

Better in what way?

I liked Harmon but it was a little too glossy for my taste so I don't use it any more, I went back to matte paper (Moab/Legion Entrada Natural and Bright White). However, in one of the digital printing forums a lot of people who like glossy papers have raved about Museo Silver Rag. Then I recently saw an exhibition of gorgeous prints on that paper. Since they were under glass I couldn't tell anything about the degree of gloss but the colors were really really nice, richer than I'm able to get but not with that awful over-saturated look you see so often in color landscapes. In 8 1/2 x 11 it's not too expensive so you might buy a box and check it out, which I've done but haven't yet gotten around to making any prints with it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

LJ Segil

I like the Museo Silver Rag very much, though since the Harman and other higher gloss Baryta papers have come along I find I prefer them for much of my work. However, I would not be unhappy to go back to the Silver Rag. It is not as fragile, has a nice texture, and a more subtle (less glaring, depending on taste) gloss than the newer papers. The Hahnemuhle comes closest to it as it has more texture than the other new glossies. At any rate, it's a good time for inkjet printing, many more good choices than we used to have, and though the choosing of a favorite paper gets a bit harder, so does making a bad choice.
    LJS

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Michael T. Murphy View Post
    The Hahnemuhle in rolls is not bad price-wise.

The Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta is $123 for a 24"x39' roll at Calumet. The Illford Gold Fibre Silk is $110 for a 24"x40' roll. Very small difference considering that the Hahnemuhle is 2x as much in cut sheet and the Ilford is the cheapest of the "big 4"

(Harman, Hahnemuhle, Innova and the Epson Exhibition Fiber - my favorite, but no rolls, sheets only. Really expensive too.)

I standardized on the Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta, Innova Gloss Warmtone, and Harman Gloss FB Ai for my premium papers. The Innova for B&W, the other two for color.

The Hahnemuhle has a slight texture that is better for some subjects for me, like portraits.
    the paper stock for hahnemuhle is superior to the Ilford - cut some to see what I mean

Frank,

Atlex has a sampler pack of B&W papers including Baryta papers. Cheap way to try a few different papers.

Mel-

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    Hahnemuhle is hard to beat. Pricey but good. Has anyone tried Hahnemuhle Bamboo? I have just brought it in and am still fine tuning things. I have seen some very nice prints others have made on the paper.
    I run a printmaking business and Hahnemühle Bamboo has been quite popular. As you've noted it's quite warm and has a lovely feel/texture. It suits both B&W and colour (good Dmax and gamut). I did an exhibition for a lady from B&W originals on this and the results looked great. It probably isn't something I'd use for landscapes though.