Thread: Epson 4870, film scanning stopped working

Epson 4870, film scanning stopped working

Hello everyone, I have the following problem - since yesterday, my Epson4870 produces more than strange results, regardless of the software I use or the computer it is attached to.

I believe, it's a hardware problem, but I have no idea what might have caused it.

First, the prescan time is now much longer than usual. Second, the results come out as a series of violet lines mixed with some distorted version of the scanned image (one cannot recognize anything, but I believe that these clusters are related to images because they are different for each would-be thumbnail). The reflective part functions without these issues.

Did you ever see such a problem with this scanner and if yes then what's the solution?

If it's something unrepairable, can you name a couple of models to replace this one? I'm scanning 120 films with it.

Many thanks in advance for the ideas.

Re: Epson 4870, film scanning stopped working

OK, I resolved this problem, but here's the full story - perhaps, it will be helpful to someone dealing with the same problem:

*) I managed to get a reasonable quality scan by putting a light pad behind the film and scanning in a reflective mode

*) to improve the contrast, I tried to switch off the lower lamp, but, unfortunately, this can't be done - the scanner detects that there's no light and flashes red indicator light. No matter how you disable the lamp (unplug, mask with tape), the result will remain the same.

*) then I switched to the upper lamp - I've got an impression that there's something out of sync (the service manual doesn't describe this on its diagrams, but the upper CCFL and the scanning head should be synchronized). I tried to unplug/plug the upper lid connector assuming that it is loose or oxidized, but it didn't help, so I disassembled the upper unit, moved the head and unplugged/plugged the internal connectors. There was nothing suspicious about them, but the scanner came back to life after this procedure.

Of course, this method is not that bulletproof, and the problem might have been caused by some other glitch, but my experience says that if nothing is burnt or stuck then it's related to contacts.

Thanks for reporting the strange symptoms and your solution.

Owners of the 4870 and 4990 scanners might bookmark this for the future.

My aging and beloved 4990 is hanging in there, despite some expected hazing, but I know it's not immortal. ;^)

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by ArtemF View Post
    OK, I resolved this problem, but here's the full story - perhaps, it will be helpful to someone dealing with the same problem:

*) I managed to get a reasonable quality scan by putting a light pad behind the film and scanning in a reflective mode

*) to improve the contrast, I tried to switch off the lower lamp, but, unfortunately, this can't be done - the scanner detects that there's no light and flashes red indicator light. No matter how you disable the lamp (unplug, mask with tape), the result will remain the same.

*) then I switched to the upper lamp - I've got an impression that there's something out of sync (the service manual doesn't describe this on its diagrams, but the upper CCFL and the scanning head should be synchronized). I tried to unplug/plug the upper lid connector assuming that it is loose or oxidized, but it didn't help, so I disassembled the upper unit, moved the head and unplugged/plugged the internal connectors. There was nothing suspicious about them, but the scanner came back to life after this procedure.

Of course, this method is not that bulletproof, and the problem might have been caused by some other glitch, but my experience says that if nothing is burnt or stuck then it's related to contacts.
    im glad you were able to fix it !
    I, just last week or 2 weeks ago needed to replace my 4870. it would make a squeal and then do the dreaded flashing red light... in days gone by if I just waited a little while it might clear up, but this time I unplugged it for a few days to get it to act normal again ... and I ended up buying another one that I am currently using ... is it just the lid or is it the plug in the scanner itself ?
    thankfully these scanners are not expensive on eBay . At present, I have my new to me used 20 year old scanner attached
    Your solution with the light pad is what I was going to do with my all in one 65$ printer scanner thing if I couldn't find a spare ...
    John