Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Broncolor Flash Pack Bonanza

Re: Broncolor Flash Pack Bonanza

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I have some really cool older ones too, from the earlier days of Bron.
    Bron archaeology challenge: what clamp would you use for attaching a Bron Jumbo umbrella (i.e. the one with the bigger shaft, not an 8mm one) to a universal or 606 head?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Hi Grant,
    The reflectors I found in my boxes are the grey plastic umbrella type, the front lips are removable on these two. The polarizing gels were cut to size, and taped on the inside of the metal lips, and then reattached. I also have some reflectors that are similar in shape, that take barndoors, and on those mount gels on the outside of the reflector.

I suppose I could switch out the reflectors, to the ones I have that take barndoors and have the usual front mounting gel clips. Or do you think there is a better way to do this?
    I agree with the method but I believe the reflectors with the silver lips on the front were sold as the "umbrella" reflector. Spill kill of some sort? I also have a set of Balcar grids that include a silver donut for reducing the diameter of the reflector for umbrellas and grids.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    Bron archaeology challenge: what clamp would you use for attaching a Bron Jumbo umbrella (i.e. the one with the bigger shaft, not an 8mm one) to a universal or 606 head?
    interneg,
    I'll look through my olde Bron pieces and parts, but I don't think I have any of the Jumbo Umbrellas. I do like the Universal 1600J heads, I have quite a few of them. And 606 packs and 606 heads too. I'll check and see if I have any attached umbrella brackets about and let you know.

I would imagine it's possible to cobble something together that will sling your jumbo. Doesn't have to be Bron if it works
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by grantflanagan View Post
    I agree with the method but I believe the reflectors with the silver lips on the front were sold as the "umbrella" reflector. Spill kill of some sort? I also have a set of Balcar grids that include a silver donut for reducing the diameter of the reflector for umbrellas and grids.
    Hmm Thanks Grant. Yep it's the Impact Umbrella reflector. Drilled out the rivits, attached the Pola Filters inside, and reattached the "silver lips" using cut strips of Gaffer Tape. Again I'm repurposing and finding new uses for all the stuff I already have. The modeling bulbs are only 50 watts in the Impacts, so not much heat buildup. There is one hole for ventilation, where the Umbrella was inserted through. And Thanks again for the two Impacts. Yahoo!

― Mark Twain

Organizing the Studio by Nokton48, on Flickr

Bought a lot of plastic storage boxes, to better organize things, and to keep them at hand. Project progresses as I have time for it. I configured a second Telescopic Norma (on the left), this one in 520mm/4x5 size, for easier portability outside, with same perspective. I used to take exploratory photos with 4x5 film, and If the subject was strong enough, I would sometimes return with the 8x10 Norma. You can see the completed 8x10 Norma Monocular Unit on the back of the 1000mm Norma Unit on the right. I like using it so much, I'm going to make two smaller versions, one for the 5x7's, and two different ones for the 4x5. So more JB Welding ahead!

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by grantflanagan View Post
    This thread and a few others online have really inspired me these last few months (plus I've been out of work with the SAG strike) to achieve a long-time goal of owning an Ascor SunLight system. In September I drove up to Boston from my home in Brooklyn and met a wonderful photographer named Ed Braverman who graciously gifted me a complete 800 series kit along with a 900 series stroboscopic unit.
    The 800 unit, with daisy-chain condensers, allows for up to 38,800 w/s with the correct flashtubes. My kit has six condensers, so I'm topped out at 4,800w/s now, with each condenser collating 800 w/s. Unfortunately the power module burned up and I'm on the hunt now for a new one. I've also got a ton of paperwork and bits and pieces I've scrounged on ebay and the dregs of old stores in the New York area. I hope to share some work soon once I'm back up and running.
    A few years ago I bought a ton of IT-N internegative film here on LFPF and I'm excited to use this beast to produce some studio portraiture on the IT-N (rating at 1.5ISO). As always, this forum is a great wealth of knowledge and I hope everyone has fun with strobes and large format.

Attachment 244476
    Grant,
    Have you talked to Kevin at KHB about getting this going? He can rebuild some strobes. This is so cool!

― Mark Twain

Hi Dan,

Kevin said this is a no-go due to age and voltage (5000V+) not to mention mercury discharge tubes and PCB caps. Currently trying to find a museum, Eastman Kodak or RIT to take it.