Thread: Schneider Super-Symmar XL 110mm -- fog problem -- EASILY REPAIRABLE

Schneider Super-Symmar XL 110mm -- fog problem -- EASILY REPAIRABLE

I just discovered something I thought I'd pass along in case others are in the same boat.

My Super-Symmar XL 110mm lens has been developing the fog problem. Over many years it's gotten so bad that, since Schneider no longer honors their "lifetime warranty", I was simply going to throw it out and buy something similar (but NOT from Schneider). For some reason I believed that the foggy element was inside a group pressed together with a metal retaining ring and was therefore inaccessible. But it's not.

With little to lose I unscrewed the front element, front group retaining ring and carefully lifted out the front lens group with a lens sucker. And to my amazement, all the fog was on the inside of that front lens. Easily accessible and easy to clean.

After cleaning and reassembly, the $2k+ lens I was about to throw way is nearly like new again. Problem completely -- and easily -- solved!

There are good YouTube videos on how to disassemble and clean lenses, and the tools needed.

All in all it was a piece of cake. And I was able to resurrect my favorite LF lens.

Caveat: This is an earlier version. I've had it for decades. SN:14875592. The fog problem was already dealt with once, a long time ago, by Schneider. I have read that when earlier lenses were sent in for repair Schneider replaced the front element with one that has a slightly different design but I don't know that for a fact. So there's a chance that what worked for me might not work in all cases.

Re: Schneider Super-Symmar XL 110mm -- fog problem -- EASILY REPAIRABLE

I did the same with mine - the haze came off with isopropanol. I managed to chip the edge of the front element screwing the retaining ring back in but that's a different story....

CONGRATULATIONS -- and thanks for passing your success story along.

I guess there are different kinds of "haze". Some types comes off easily, while others resist everything -- at least that I've tried.

Lifetime Warranty...ha ha. I have these on my desk right now and a lens that developed separation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0511.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	253262

Thanks, xkaes.

Over the years I've had several SS XL lenses and all developed this cloudy kind of haze near the outer circumference of the front element lens, creeping inward and getting thicker over time.

The 150mm and 210mm I sold immediately after being cleaned by Schneider (a long time ago), but kept the 110mm because I like it so much.

This fog cleaned right off. It was easier to remove than a finger print. I was amazed how easy it was to get to and how easy it was to clean, feeling kind of dumb because I was about to throw out the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post
    I managed to chip the edge of the front element screwing the retaining ring back in but that's a different story....
    L'horreur!

I've not long had mine. Zero sign of fogging and fingers crossed it stays that way.

Any chance of messing up collimation by removing/cleaning/replacing the front element Just wondering!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Any chance of messing up collimation by removing/cleaning/replacing the front element Just wondering!
    There is apparently a chance of messing up alignment. The Schneider literature for the Super Symmar XL lenses warned not to remove the front cell from the shutter. Presumably there are shims or something.

From what I remember the actual front glass cell is rather straightforwardly set onto a flat metal rim, and hence I can't imagine how you could mess this up. I don't think it would physically go back together either off centre or out of alignment, it seemed pretty idiot proof. Certainly on mine there's nothing to indicate the optical performance changed other than removing the haze will have boosted contrast.

I don't even think me chipping the edge of the front element actually impinged on image quality either (clearly not all aspects of putting it back together were idiot proof...)
    Last edited by dave_whatever; Today at 07:02. Reason: typo