Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New camera repair service and custom machining in France

Re: New camera repair service and custom machining in France

I often ask myself, is it better, financially, to buy cheaper 'broken/non-working' camera equipment knowing and factoring in repair costs rather than the identical often overpriced working equipment with an unknown maintenance record and not guaranteed?

I think we are at the frontier, Marty, it is a calculation to do.

Honestly, of what I see on a regular basis on items that were "serviced" or "CLA"d there is a lack of craftmanship and great is the temptation to sell at a high price a camera or lens that is barely working. This includes generally tensioning old shutter springs at their maximum with a few drop of WD40 with a minimum amount of dismouting and send this to an individual that will be disappointed.

A lot of workshops do not have a spare part and you can't do nothing without them.

Every 8 on 10 Rolleiflex I receive does not meet factory tolerances for optical alignment, which is the only way to have the best from your lens. The best post war Xenotar will be inferior in performance to a prewar triotar if not aligned correctly.

The best deals are cameras that have been properly stored in a dry environment. Even if they are a little seized or sluggish, at least they have not seen some tinkerer's.

My best advices for large fomat enthousiasts :

-Never buy a dented leaf shutter mounted lens in any circumstances, the shutter may be distorted and the front and rear plane no more parralel to each other. Factory tolerance 0,01mm sometimes I measure more than 0,1mm it is usually not repairable, but there are exception and it is very costly. At the end you have a bad looking lens on a repaired shutter that costs a grand

-Ask the seller, if he tells that the shutter have been serviced, by who and if it comes with waranty repair, what parts were replaced, does it comes with a shutter test form, etc.

-Nothing is more costly than a bargain Linhof says Laflex camera in California and it is very true

-Buy from honest sellers (there are plenty) and some professionnal sells "as is" cameras and lenses which are correctly described and sometimes nicely working. Beware of some very renowned shops, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mael View Post
    Proud to announce I have acquired a LARGE STOCK OF NEW PARTS to OVERHAUL MOST OF LEAF SHUTTERS, including shutter and aperture blades, springs and main springs, escapments, body shell, Piston assembly, levers, etc. for :

-Compur Rim set prewar to post war and Compur Rapid size #00, 0, 1
    -Compur Dial set prewar all sizes
    -Synchro Compur #00, 0, 1, 2, 3
    -COMPOUND all sizes !!! largest #3, 4, 5
    -Copal #0, 1 and 3

I also have a large amount of used parts for exotic sizes like Dial Set #2, Seiko and others

The workshop is now ready to service all your shutters to bring them back to FULL FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS !
    Shanel shutters ?

Shanel shutters are Musashino Koki made, so I think they are Rittreck and later Wista. I can service them if nothing is broken, unfortunately due to lack of spare parts if an element is defective it may be difficult to repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Mael View Post
    Shanel shutters are Musashino Koki made, so I think they are Rittreck and later Wista. I can service them if nothing is broken, unfortunately due to lack of spare parts if an element is defective it may be difficult to repair.
    good that you will accept servicing. I have few, so just in case... These shutters are otherwise discriminated in Europe.

I just received one that needs repair, a crimped part has fallen from the speed escapment. Will post pictures while servicing.

Hello Mael, do you do focusing cams for Linhof 23 & 45 cameras?

No, I have sold all my Linhof parts, but if inside US you can try Laflex camera in California I think.