Thread: Regards from Oregon

Regards from Oregon

Greetings, All.

I've been watching this forum for a while and am pleased to introduce myself finally. I have been using LF since 1971 when I replaced my Kodak Retina 35mm viewfinder with a Crown Graphic. I used that Crown for commercial assignments, primarily architecture, until I sold it for $25 more than I originally purchased it.

(This is a helpful tip for anyone using a Graflex camera, Speed or Crown. If you're photographing interiors, use a tripod that will get you to about 7—or 8 feet, and use a sidearm to hang your camera upside down from just below the ceiling. Drop the front standard (this would be a rise if the camera were right side up) to include the floor. You will achieve a better perspective and coverage this way (my photo mentor, Frank Rogers, taught me this technique). Be sure to use a wide-field lens, not a press lens, so as not to vignette.)

I began using an 8x10-inch Agfa-Ansco sometime in the mid-70s. After about five years, I got tired of lugging around a 20-pound wooden tripod and 8x10 film holders, so I downsized to a 5x7-inch Agfa-Ansco (Henry is his name; see the attached photo), which I still use to this day. In fact, I use it when I teach large-format workshops.

Some of you may know me for my writing on darkroom practice, particularly The Darkroom Cookbook and The Film Developing Cookbook (co-authored with Bill Troop). Both are published by Focal Press.

I tend not to be very active on forums, but if I can assist anyone or answer any questions, please feel free to contact me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Henry & Steve.jpg  
    Steve Anchell

Author:
    The Darkroom Cookbook
    The Variable Contrast Printing Manual
    The Film Developing Cookbook

www.steveanchell.com

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Regards from Oregon

Welcome (back) to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Welcome (back) to the forum!
    Thank you, Brian.
    Steve Anchell

Author:
    The Darkroom Cookbook

www.steveanchell.com

Hi Steve,

I believe we corresponded when you lived in the City, many moons ago.

Your 1991 interview with Brett Weston has long been a favorite. (https://americansuburbx.com/2009/06/...tt-weston.html). A good read! I was with him in Carmel to celebrate his 80th a couple of weeks after your interview and he was still churning out new work. Amazing passion!

Good to see that you are still making helpful contributions to photography, as well as pursuing your own work.

Best,
    Merg

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Hi Steve,

I believe we corresponded when you lived in the City, many moons ago.

Your 1991 interview with Brett Weston has long been a favorite. (https://americansuburbx.com/2009/06/...tt-weston.html). A good read! I was with him in Carmel to celebrate his 80th a couple of weeks after your interview and he was still churning out new work. Amazing passion!

Good to see that you are still making helpful contributions to photography, as well as pursuing your own work.

Best,
    Merg
    Thank you, Merg. I was also at the 80th. He had asked me to write his autobiography with him. Unfortunately, he passed away a month before we were scheduled to begin.
    Steve Anchell

Author:
    The Darkroom Cookbook

www.steveanchell.com

loujon

Hi Steve
    Welcome back & and it would be great if you where around a little more often in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Anchell View Post
    Thank you, Merg. I was also at the 80th. He had asked me to write his autobiography with him. Unfortunately, he passed away a month before we were scheduled to begin.
    That's interesting Steve, I wish you had done the autobiography. You probably know the history of the one started a few years before he died, but not published until 2011. Something done earlier would have avoided the sordid details of his estate. At least his work lives on, for which we are fortunate!

Merg, I wasn't aware anything was published about Brett. What was the title and the author?
    Steve Anchell

Author:
    The Darkroom Cookbook

www.steveanchell.com

Oh, sorry Steve. Published his centennial year, 2011: "A Restless Eye" by John Charles Woods. 368 pages, well-researched.