Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linhof Super Technika IV repair - the groove which locks onto the track

Re: Linhof Super Technika IV repair - the groove which locks onto the track

Thank you for this, l had no idea that the middle part (which you circled in red) was meant to flex ever so flightly, that would explain why it's independent of the areas either side of it - l thought it was a past repair job. Well, my quick fix with glue more or less prevents the middle part moving now, l think l used too much glue. The glue was actually a flexible glue, but given the quantity l used (in anticipation of the part coming loose, which it did once during the repair process), the area has now frozen stiff. As l say, l think l might finish with sandpaper or something. The camera works anyway and as you say it doesn't seem like a huge deal, it just hurts the ego a little bit, to be affected by this tiny part.

Re: Linhof Super Technika IV repair - the groove which locks onto the track

The slider bar is actually much longer than the part I circled. It extends past the second screw head, and almost to the other side. I circled the part of the slider that actually does the clamping, since that appears to be undamaged. It doesn't "flex" as you stated, but slides outward. Maybe that's just a language translation issue. The small piece that's broken has no impact on the clamping. There is normally clearance at that point, so it really doesn't have any critical functional importance.

The glue could be a problem if it prevents the slider from moving. If that's the case, then it will remain in either the clamped position or unclamped position. If it's stuck in the clamped position then you won't be able to move the front standard. If it's stuck in the unclamped position then the front standard will be loose and easy to move. The clamping force comes from the springs, so any glue at the slider interface creates binding that the spring force can't overcome.

If the glue is a problem then you might try applying a bit of lacquer thinner or acetone to dissolve the glue. I don't think there's any plastic there, so the metal parts should be resistant. Paint might be affected, so use sparingly
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11