Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Changing the height of a tripod whilst the 8 x10 camera and lens are fixed upon it.

Re: Changing the height of a tripod whilst the 8 x10 camera and lens are fixed upon i

Show us your setup one day!

I enjoyed the Millennium in London

and visited the big motor bike museum before it burned

it was rebuilt!
    Tin Can

Re: Changing the height of a tripod whilst the 8 x10 camera and lens are fixed upon i

To RAISE an 8x10 camera already on a tripod I hold the camera tight and kick down at the earth to shove it down a little When the Earth is lowered enough I extend the tripod legs down to the earth. I learned this little trick when working for Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Burlew View Post
    To RAISE an 8x10 camera already on a tripod I hold the camera tight and kick down at the earth to shove it down a little When the Earth is lowered enough I extend the tripod legs down to the earth. I learned this little trick when working for Einstein.
    Warn me next time -- I was wondering why some of my long exposures were fussy. Since you worked with him, did Einstein really have a filter designed to correct for Redshift when using Kodachrome?
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I agree with Brian that the center column is stable for minor adjustments, not adding height that should be corrected by changing the legs and/or camera position. That said, consider locating a Burleback Mulda with lever locks on the legs. Very heavy duty tripod with solid locks on legs and head with a geared center column. I believe the current model is TRIPOD UNI 27C. Perfect for a 15 pound Toyo.
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”