Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: The Ries Tripods business status thread

Re: The Ries Tripods business status thread

Quote Originally Posted by vvplem View Post
    I don't want to get overheated about this here but I am still interested to know which forums and other platforms would be most impactful as to warn others and prevent Ries tripod to do more harm.

Thanks in advance,

Vania

Check Payment Protection: If the purchase was made using a credit card, bank transfer, or a payment service like PayPal, review their buyer protection policies. Many payment methods offer protection for non-delivery of goods, allowing you to file a dispute and potentially receive a refund.

File a Dispute or Chargeback: If the company remains unresponsive, contact your bank or credit card issuer to file a dispute or chargeback for the transaction. Provide documentation of your attempts to contact the company and any other relevant information.

Report to Consumer Protection Agencies: Report the issue to consumer protection agencies in France and the United States. You can contact the Directorate-General for Competition, Consumer Affairs, and Fraud Prevention (DGCCRF) in France. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the Better Business Bureau (BBB) may also be helpful.

Consult with Legal Counsel: If the purchase amount is significant, consulting with a lawyer specializing in international e-commerce disputes may be advisable. They can help navigate the legal options available, including potentially taking legal action against the company.

Leave Reviews: Consider leaving honest reviews on platforms like Trustpilot, Google Reviews, and social media. Publicly sharing your experience may encourage the company to respond and resolve the issue.

Contact Local Authorities: If you suspect fraud, you can report it to your local police or cybercrime unit in France. They may have international cooperation agreements that can assist in resolving the issue.

You may have done all of the above or not, but if you did use a credit card, that would be the best avenue to concentrate on to get your money back. The longer you wait, the greater the chance you could lose the money. Yes, it is a hassle, but you must advocate for yourself. This is ‘the forum’ and photrio for wood tripods, as most non-large-format photographers use cheap carbon fiber or metal tripods.

Good luck.

Thanks Darr!

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Check Payment Protection: If the purchase was made using a credit card, bank transfer, or a payment service like PayPal, review their buyer protection policies. Many payment methods offer protection for non-delivery of goods, allowing you to file a dispute and potentially receive a refund.

File a Dispute or Chargeback: If the company remains unresponsive, contact your bank or credit card issuer to file a dispute or chargeback for the transaction. Provide documentation of your attempts to contact the company and any other relevant information.

Report to Consumer Protection Agencies: Report the issue to consumer protection agencies in France and the United States. You can contact the Directorate-General for Competition, Consumer Affairs, and Fraud Prevention (DGCCRF) in France. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the Better Business Bureau (BBB) may also be helpful.

Consult with Legal Counsel: If the purchase amount is significant, consulting with a lawyer specializing in international e-commerce disputes may be advisable. They can help navigate the legal options available, including potentially taking legal action against the company.

Leave Reviews: Consider leaving honest reviews on platforms like Trustpilot, Google Reviews, and social media. Publicly sharing your experience may encourage the company to respond and resolve the issue.

Contact Local Authorities: If you suspect fraud, you can report it to your local police or cybercrime unit in France. They may have international cooperation agreements that can assist in resolving the issue.

You may have done all of the above or not, but if you did use a credit card, that would be the best avenue to concentrate on to get your money back. The longer you wait, the greater the chance you could lose the money. Yes, it is a hassle, but you must advocate for yourself. This is ‘the forum’ and photrio for wood tripods, as most non-large-format photographers use cheap carbon fiber or metal tripods.

Good luck.

Just called and someone answered and told me Ries Tripods is out of business.

A sad day.

I'm very sorry to hear this. I bought my first Ries used in the early 1970's. It was a model B, had "Junior weight" legs and a 6 inch diameter crown. I re-finished it and back in the day at a Friends of Photography workshop Morley Baer asked me where I got a new Ries tripod. I think back then Ries was selling mostly to customers like Stoddart Aircraft Radio Co. and not really marketing to photographers who, like me and Morley, figured they were no longer in business. Later bought a 4 inch crown from Ries, transferred the legs and ended up with the equivalent of a J-100.

Still use this, along with a model C-100 I bought new some years ago, shortly before Ries discontinued that simpler model, along with a jatoba wood J-100 bought new in early 2017. That latter purchase was basically "retail therapy" as my wife would put it.

David

Sad to see them go, but they had a pretty good run from 1936.
    Last edited by Merg Ross; Today at 20:04.

The website is still up and running.