Thread: Central Coast Question

Central Coast Question

Just got back from Carmel/Big Sur (at least what was drivable) and noticed that once in Monterey County, the highway call boxes seem to be torn down. No big deal on 101, but when Hwy 1 reopens, there won't be any emergency road assistance since no cell coverage along there. The highway call boxes were the only savior along that stretch. Anyone have any idea what's happening? Once back in SLO and counties south, the call boxes seem to be up and running.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Drew Wiley

Re: Central Coast Question

I don't know if they'll install any or not. There were massive infrastructure issues along the intermediate portion earlier this year. They've been under quite an emergency engineering crunch, and probably can't realistically factor underground cable conduits in high slide risk areas. Call boxes are rare on the northern CA coast anyway; and quite a bit of it is out of cell coverage too. Hwy 1 does have a decent Highway Patrol presence, looking out for motorist problems.

Re: Central Coast Question

FWIW, I just got back from traveling down Hwy 1 from Half Moon Bay to Monterey. It seems that most of the call boxes from the north end of Monterey County up to Santa Cruz and San Mateo Counties seemed to be up and functional, although I didn't pull over to try one. So for now, it would seem that the service is not working from about Carmel or so down to the SLO County line. So get out and shoot.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.