Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Completed - Outage Notification Sunday, June 23, 7AM PDT (14:00 GMT)

Re: Outage Notification Sunday, June 23, 7AM PDT (14:00 GMT)

Tom, I think this is a gmail policy issue. They recently started requiring SPF or DKIM for mail sent to their customers, and it looks to me as though Kumar reads via gmail. I will send you a longer explanation by ordinary email.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Westbrook View Post
    the logs indicate the system is emailing PM notifications (sent you one sample as a PM). Try checking for it in SPAM?
    Tom, I checked my Gmail account and have not received an email for your PM. I also did not receive an email for your post here. I am auto-subscribed to this thread as confirmed from my Subscriptions list.

EDIT: Since yesterday, I have not received any notification emails for any of the sub-forums to which I am subscribed.

Quote Originally Posted by bkreid View Post
    Tom, I think this is a gmail policy issue. They recently started requiring SPF or DKIM for mail sent to their customers, and it looks to me as though Kumar reads via gmail. I will send you a longer explanation by ordinary email.
    bkreid, thank you for offering a possible explanation. I usually read my emails on Thunderbird on my PC, and occasionally on the Gmail site, when I am away from my PC. I haven't changed any settings either on Thunderbird or Gmail, and have been sending and receiving emails without any problem. FYI, I continue to receive notifications about new messages from Photrio without a problem.

Gmail says: "To improve email delivery, we recommend that you always set up SPF, DKIM, and DMARC for your domains. Make sure you're meeting the minimum authentication requirements described on this page. Messages that aren't authenticated with these methods might be marked as spam or rejected with a 5.7. 26 error."

There are no messages from LFPF in my SPAM folder. If a message was rejected, Tom may have received a notification.

Kumar

I am not a large-format photographer (I sold my Speed Graphic 20 years ago and now use Leica digital cameras) but I am a mail and server software person. I have sent Tom some instructions for what to do, though he might well know more about it than I do. The issue is not how you read your email, but how gmail accepts delivery of mail addressed to you. Google's new policy is to reject inbound mail whose sender does not comply with their rules.
    Brian Reid

Thank you, Brian. Perhaps other users who have Gmail accounts can post here with their experience over the last two days?

Kumar

Here is the log entry for a recent attempt by the forum software to send you email. I removed your email address because I wasn't sure whether it was private.

Jun 25 01:08:46 www postfix/smtp[39894]: 162E82AC8F74: to=<...@gmail.com>, relay=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[142.251.2.27]:25, delay=0.67, delays=0/0/0.14/0.53, dsn=5.7.26, status=bounced (host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[142.251.2.27] said: 550-5.7.26 Your email has been blocked because the sender is unauthenticated. 550-5.7.26 Gmail requires all senders to authenticate with either SPF or DKIM. 550-5.7.26 550-5.7.26 Authentication results: 550-5.7.26 DKIM = did not pass 550-5.7.26 SPF [lfinfo.vegetablegroup.com] with ip: [199.5.253.9] = did not 550-5.7.26 pass 550-5.7.26 550-5.7.26 For instructions on setting up authentication, go to 550 5.7.26 https://support.google.com/mail/answ...authentication 98e67ed59e1d1-2c819a72bf8si7980880a91.58 - gsmtp (in reply to end of DATA command))

Actually, as I think about it, I can adjust things to meet Google's stated SPF requirements without involving Tom, who is traveling. But it's way way past my bedtime and I know better than to attempt strange software adjustments late at night. I'll see to it in the morning (San Diego time).
    Brian Reid

I have created the SPF record that Google claims will make them happy and convince them to start accepting inbound email again. I don't know exactly how to test it, but perhaps someone (such as Kumar) who was being affected by this could try again.

Thank you, Brian. I believe the problem has been resolved.
    I received an email notifying me of your post here, as well as two emails notifying me of posts in subforums to which I am subscribed.

Kumar