Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I got lost in Colma---photo subject serendipity!

Drew Wiley

Re: So I got lost in Colma---photo subject serendipity!

No, that does not qualify for a Darwin award whatsoever. There is no radon, uranium, or thorium risk in Sierra granite terrain. It's not geologically like Appalachia. And any quarry face is tiny compared to the uncountable thousands of natural granite faces and monoliths in our mountains. There are many kinds of granite, under many different mineralogical classifications, which have little to do with Countertop store labels. And in those businesses, by far the greatest risk to workmen is silicosis if they don't wear proper respiratory gear when shaping the slabs.

But the greatest risk growing up surrounded by granite in every direction is simply due to incorrectly mixing fun with gravity - falling off a big piece of it when climbing. Or, if that kind of recreation doesn't appeal to you, there are plenty of optional opportunities for driving off a cliff too. I grew up on the side of a canyon nearly twice the depth of the Grand Canyon. Climb up to the top of an overlooking peak, and way down in that canyon, off in the distance, is a little granite wart taller than Half Dome in Yosemite. It has none of the millions of tourists Yosemite gets - but to date, I've never heard of a radon risk to people in Yosemite either. Nor have I ever seen the bears walking around with Geiger counters.

At lower elevations, our serpentine formations carry a bit of asbestos and other nasties, but not really enough to worry about either unless it's pulverized and breathed; a bit of radon too. And in the case I noted, the specific granite quarry was used not only for tombstones, but for major buildings in downtown SF, like the original B of A building, as well as the more recent MLK Memorial park and fountains right across the street from SFMMA. Nobody worries about radon or radiation at those locations.
    The luminous hands on an old Mickey Mouse watch would be worse.

(This is a total digression, but it is useful to understand the nature of risks) The risk from radon is strictly an interior risk, because you have to breathe it to be a problem. Rock and soil can produce radon as part of the decay chain of naturally occurring elements (mostly or all from U-238), but radon is a gas so it can become liberated and people can breathe it in, where further decays can produce alpha particles inside your body. Alpha particles produced by decays outside your body have a penetration depth of fractions of a mm and are easily stopped by your sacrificial outer layer of skin.

It's the combination of breathable gas, higher interior concentrations, and long term exposure that causes radon to be a potential hazard inside houses/buildings in certain geological areas. Radon produced by a granite block or soil outside would be immediately diluted by the atmosphere. Mitigation includes keeping the gas out (barrier layer) and better venting.

Like most types of low concentration long term risks, this is the kind of hazard that is detected statistically and over a long time. Even in a place with higher soil radon levels, you aren't likely to move into a house with radon in the basement and develop cancer a month later.

Drew Wiley

... And in mountainous granite terrain, houses rarely have basements. You'd have to blast with dynamite. My own place was underlain with a diorite dike, much harder than granite.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by AgNO3 View Post
    Does this qualify for the Darwin Awards?
    The amounts of uranium, thorium and emitted radon gas from granite may vary and certainly isn't dangerous from single granite table tops but isn´t considered negligible, when the entire building is made from it. Was it lung cancer?
    https://www.bfs.de/EN/topics/ion/env...nite_node.html

Fun fact: the granite made NYC Grand Central Station´s radiation level is above what would be legal for a nuclear plant.
    if it was in Montana ...
    https://radonmine.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    The cylinder lock is what they told me took so long.
    I got impatient after 8 weeks and filed a complaint with the state Bureau of Automotive Repair when VOA refused to tell us who makes the part.
    The next day we got an email that the repair was made.
    Naturally, this makes me wonder.
    makes me wonder too, I googled Passat 2014 ignition switch cylinder replacement .. to learn about the high tech device ( seeing I replaced ignition switches and parts back in the day for BMWs and VWs ) wanting to see what a space age security device looked like .. I couldn't find the switch or cylinder you were talking about the only ones that came up were the older style .. maybe you have a GLX or TDI version of the car so it's an upgrade from stuttgart ..
    its good you got it replaced and got your car back and will be good for another 10 years (at least) ...

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    if it was in Montana ...
    https://radonmine.com

makes me wonder too, I googled Passat 2014 ignition switch cylinder replacement .. to learn about the high tech device ( seeing I replaced ignition switches and parts back in the day for BMWs and VWs ) wanting to see what a space age security device looked like .. I couldn't find the switch or cylinder you were talking about the only ones that came up were the older style .. maybe you have a GLX or TDI version of the car so it's an upgrade from stuttgart ..
    its good you got it replaced and got your car back and will be good for another 10 years (at least) ...
    LOL!
    I had to use the horn for the first time when another car started drifting into my lane.
    No horn!
    A few minutes later the horn starts honking all by itself and won't stop.
    I pulled over and tried pulling the fuse, but no luck since the fuse panel illustrated in the owner's manual doesn't indicate what fuse goes with what circuit.
    I did a search online and the diagram I found for a 2014 Passat fuse panel looks nothing like the one in my car.

I'm pretty sure the dealership messed up the horn relay in the steering column when they replaced the cylinder lock.

Fortunately I have my son's battered ( from delivering pizzas during ski season in Vail) Yaris to drive while he's in Kenya.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

multiplex

That’s a trip. Yaris are sweet rides. I’m no Carsnob.. my kid drives a Chevy spark. Cheep and dependable like the Yaris. Hand crank windows and Totoro figurines glued on the dash. The catbus is a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    That’s a trip. Yaris are sweet rides. I’m no Carsnob.. my kid drives a Chevy spark. Cheep and dependable like the Yaris. Hand crank windows and Totoro figurines glued on the dash. The catbus is a hoot
    Cool!
    We rented a Spark to drive home after the Passat bit the dust.
    It did very nicely on the highway.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

multiplex

45 mpg, and loaded with airbags. daewo sure knows how to make an affordable, reliable, thrifty-mileage car ..
    yours had dashboard bling . too bad they stopped making / importing them. it's like the Honda fit, don't import them anymore either..

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    It's a long story, but after riding the Amtrak San Joaquin to Richmond, the BART red line dropped me off in the necropolis of Colma yesterday and I set off on foot to find a car dealership to pick up our automobile that had taken two months to be repaired after it crapped out in a parking lot of the Beach Chalet on the Great Highway in Golden Gate Park.
    Fortunately, Colma, being mostly cemeteries, is an easy hike and I eventually found the dealership after inquiring at the Colma PD station.
    What struck me, photographically, was all the incredibly interesting industrial architecture!
    Next door to the BART station is a Monument studio that looked like it was circa 1900, with a huge wooden workshop with impressive hoists for huge pieces of granite visible through parts of the structure which had fallen away.
    As I made my way skirting the cemeteries, I came across several fascinating examples of 100 +/- year old businesses supporting the funeral industry---not counting the cemeteries themselves with an impressive collection of incredibly sculpted tombstones.
    I may have to head back there with my camera, but it occurred to me that necropolis of Colma might interest forum members in the Bay area so I thought I'd post this here.
    Sadly too far away for me. But I could very happily spend a lot of time there. I love cemeteries.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Here's a bit of Colma's History you might find intriguing:

https://www.ranker.com/list/facts-ab...lectionId=2134