Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tachihara Cameras

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tachihara Cameras

Im looking to start shooting 10x8 and am searching for a suitable camera. I have been shooting 5x4 for many years, on a Shen Hao, which is a spectacular camera. I prefer field cameras so would be looking for something along the same lines, I am currently thinking about buying a tachihara as they look like quite good value. Does anybody have any experience with them? Or could they recommend a similar styled camera? Deardorff and Ebony are also very nice but quite a bit more expensive, I dont have any 10x8 gear so dont want to spend too much on the camera itself.

Re: Tachihara Cameras

It's tough to remember back 30 years, but I owned a Tachihara 5x4" in the early 90's and it was very good. I don't remember any obvious shortcomings, but I sold it because I concluded that 6x9cm with a Horseman VH was a bit quicker to use, and more cost effective.

I've used a Tachihara 4x5 for over 40 years and it has been a great camera! I'm sure an 8x10 version would serve the purpose, but I'd be a bit concerned about how solid it would or not be under more adverse outdoor conditions. I toss the 8x10 Wista into this same category, too. Great camera, but... IMO, what you generally tradeoff with 8x10 is weight vs sturdiness and portability. Cameras like a Deardorff, Wisner, Ebony, Kodak Master View, etc, will hold their own in just about any outdoor situation, but they ain't lightweights. So, you need to decide how much you're willing to invest in both monetary terms and effort.

Good luck and let us know what you settle on.

An 8x10 Tachihara is plenty rigid/robust enough if it's in good condition. But...

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Kubrick View Post
    I dont have any 10x8 gear so dont want to spend too much on the camera itself.
    ...what is your budget? 8x10 Tachiharas in good condition are not cheap these days.

I have and use a Tachihara 810GF triple extension camera and a Tachihara 810GF double extension camera. Both cameras have been well used since the 1990s and have had hundreds of sheets of film through them without any mechanical failures.
    The corners of the bellows in both cameras have been taped over with 3M type 850 black polyester tape so there are no pinholes and none are likely to develop.
    Masao Tachihara rated his 8x10 cameras for 50 years of regular use with the bellows good for at least 30 years.
    Oren Grad is right about high prices for Tachihara. Tachihara finished in 2013 but the demand for their cameras continues.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

All good advise. Much depends on how & where you plan on using it. The other item is that all the other 8x10 gear -- lenses, film, etc. -- do not have "4x5" prices either. Not even the tripod!!!

Hi thanks for the info ! I found a couple on ebay for that looked good, link below. I plan on using it for studio work mostly, I recently bought 10 film holders for the 5x4 camera so will probably stick with that for outdoor work. I actualy use a video tripod with it as it is so large !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17632904325...RGVKREPK0D2QZK

That looks like a very good deal. Make sure you ask the seller about maximum bellows. Tachihara made lots of different versions with some differences -- like amount of bellows extension -- typically a big deal with 8x10.

Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    That looks like a very good deal. Make sure you ask the seller about maximum bellows. Tachihara made lots of different versions with some differences -- like amount of bellows extension -- typically a big deal with 8x10.

Let us know how it goes.
    Ahh I did notice there was some talk about different bellows sizes for 10x8.. I would be looking for a mid to long focal length lens, so more bellows are needed. I also read that a true telephoto lens requires less bellows, as the lens is constructed in a different way? I guess this is a similar thing to true wide angle lenses that were used with range finder styled camers that didnt have SLR mechanisms in the way? I read that a telephoto lens actually refers to the lens construction rather than its focal lengh so to speak ... But it seems that most photographers dont use that long of a lens for 10x8? I would mostly be doing still lifes mixed with portraiture, I quite like the 50mm-85mm length when talking about 35mm film, I believe this would be in the 300-600mm range if it were 10x8? I also read that the focal length of a lens changes depending on how much bellows are used.. I would be curious to put a 90mm 5x4 lens onto the 10x8 and see what bizarre effect that would give... 10x8 fish eye or distorted mess??

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    That looks like a very good deal.
    Maybe, maybe not:

◆Appearance
    Body is clean. It has a few scars. There is tiny signs of use.
    Note: There are thin fungus marks on the surface of the wood. There are rust on the metal parts.

◆Optical system
    Screen: Clear. (It has a few scars & very thin fungus mark)
    Screen note: The grid is missing in places.
    Bellows: Bellows is clean, but it has a few tiny pin holes.