Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems developing Fomapan in a B&W King 5x7 developing tank

Question Problems developing Fomapan in a B&W King 5x7 developing tank

I've not used my 5x7 camera in a little while but want to get started with it again. One problem I had previously was with agitation during developing Fomapan 100 using a B&W King 5x7 tank. I found that, no matter how careful I was, the film sheets would tend to come loose and stick to each other.

Is this likely poor technique on my part, or is it possible that Fomapan is not quite compatibile with the B&W King developing tanks? Their instructions say "The product uses Kodak, Fujifilm, Ilford film width data design. Users need to use the same data of the film. Film that does not conform to the above data is not suitable for this product."
    I guess it's possible than Fomapan is a mm or so smaller than Kodak or Ilford sheet films, and hence doesn't work as well with tank developing. I'm reluctant to switch to another film because they're about four times the price 😅

Has anyone had experience with this? Is switching films the only option? Tray developing isn't a practical option for me as I lack access to a darkroom.

Thanks!

Re: Problems developing Fomapan in a B&W King 5x7 developing tank

I haven’t used Foma films but I’d be surprised if they have different dimensions than Ilford/Kodak. These things are standardized.

That BW King thing looks terrible for a variety of reasons but if you don’t have a darkroom I guess you’re kind of stuck with a tank insert of some type. For what it’s worth the best of these I’ve seen/used is the Bounet “B’s” insert. I don’t know how it would do with Foma film as I’ve been told Foma films are easier to scratch.

Hopefully others here will have more advice on how to solve the problem.

I can't speak to 5x7" film because I don't shoot that format, but I have developed hundreds of sheets of 4x5" Fomapan 100 in a B&W King tank. Never had a single issue with a sheet dislodging from the reel. I suppose the larger surface area of a 5x7 sheet could be an issue, but I'd be surprised. Are you ensuring that the edge of the film is tucked properly under the bar when fully slid in?

Is your tank made for 13x18mm? The 13x18 film will drop out of a 5x7 film holder so maybe the holder in the tank is a bit bigger to accommodate that size. I’m not familiar with the design of the tank, but it was just a thought.

Here's a thread on Photrio where the manufacturer of King tanks announces their return to production.

Perhaps you can ask him directly what the problem might be:

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...g-tank.206422/
    Kino
    We never have time to do it right, but we always seem to have time to do it again...

Hi,

Many thanks to everyone for the prompt replies!

In general, I've been pretty happy with my B&W King developing tank. This slight issue has been the only problem -- and it does allow me to develop without a darkroom. (Plus I found tray developing a pain anyway if developing more than two or three sheets of film -- I'm impatient!)

I think my concern about mm differences in film size seems to be misplaced. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Are you ensuring that the edge of the film is tucked properly under the bar when fully slid in?
    Thanks! I think this might be the issue. I played around with loading a sacrificial sheet of Fomapan I've kept for this purpose, and I think I wasn't quite pushing the film in quite enough, so it wasn't tucked under the bar.

I'd loaded it like this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2328.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	249701

When I needed to be loading it like this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2329.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	249702

From just a brief play with the developing tank (without any developer in it) it seemed to make a big difference. I'll need to practice loading film in the changing bag again and see if I can get it right 😅.

I think I'll stick with Fomapan for now then. Much as I like FP4, it is four times the price.

Yes, the second pic you posted is the correct loading of the film.

Thanks! Good to know that it was just operator error on my part at least. I'd played around with loading the tank quite a bit before, so it's odd I never thought to try pushing the film in just a few mm more...

I've got some film and developing chemicals on order, so hopefully will try it out over the next few weeks. I'll try practising with my sacrificial sheet of Fomapan in the meantime.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by penguinoid View Post
    I've not used my 5x7 camera in a little while but want to get started with it again. One problem I had previously was with agitation during developing Fomapan 100 using a B&W King 5x7 tank. I found that, no matter how careful I was, the film sheets would tend to come loose and stick to each other.

Is this likely poor technique on my part, or is it possible that Fomapan is not quite compatibile with the B&W King developing tanks? Their instructions say "The product uses Kodak, Fujifilm, Ilford film width data design. Users need to use the same data of the film. Film that does not conform to the above data is not suitable for this product."
    I guess it's possible than Fomapan is a mm or so smaller than Kodak or Ilford sheet films, and hence doesn't work as well with tank developing. I'm reluctant to switch to another film because they're about four times the price 😅

Has anyone had experience with this? Is switching films the only option? Tray developing isn't a practical option for me as I lack access to a darkroom.

Thanks!
    I have the same tanks and have found with Ilford and Agfa 5x7 film that sheets can come loose if the second (trailing) end is not securely tucked up under the cross lip for each loaded sheet. Feel with your fingertip if needed to ensure that the trailing end of the film sheet is physically prevented from partially sliding back out of the sheet guide. This seems to happen when agitating and could cause sheets to come loose and/or touch.

This no longer happens to me once I checked and verified that each sheet was securely tucked under the cross-piece.

Film sheet dimensions are international standards, so it's unlikely that Foma is a different size.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Kashi View Post
    I have the same tanks and have found with Ilford and Agfa 5x7 film that sheets can come loose if the second (trailing) end is not securely tucked up under the cross lip for each loaded sheet. Feel with your fingertip if needed to ensure that the trailing end of the film sheet is physically prevented from partially sliding back out of the sheet guide. This seems to happen when agitating and could cause sheets to come loose and/or touch.

This no longer happens to me once I checked and verified that each sheet was securely tucked under the cross-piece.
    Thanks, that's useful. I need to practice a few times before I try developing some more film. I'm waiting for my film to arrive in the mail from Germany, so I have a bit of time to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Kashi View Post
    Film sheet dimensions are international standards, so it's unlikely that Foma is a different size.
    Ok, thanks. It'd be less than ideal if there were slight differences between manufacturers, I guess!