Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Schneider 355mm f9 g-claron issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    (Shrek)

Re: Schneider 355mm f9 g-claron issue

I have a couple of process lenses with similar slots, I gather they were for a specific filter used in making images for a printing process. I just put gaffer tape over the slits, after a few years it sort of hardens into place.

Drew Wiley

A Waterhouse slot would indicate an older barrel version of this lens intended for graphics applications. Be aware that older Copal 3S shutters have a different fit from later
    no.3 shutters, and that you might need a custom adapter either way.

I have had Apo-Nikkors with a similar slot and some filter holders that fit into the slot, but they had a moveable door to close the opening when not in use.

This does not seem to have the same level of thought and execution.

Drew Wiley

You'd think GC's would have slot closures too. Maybe in this case someone at some point in time removed it.

Lachlan 717

I think you’re spot on, Bryan.

I need to keep my eye out for one, as I’d love a Dagor version (incl. for 8x10/11x14).
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGard View Post
    I bought this lens a few years ago from a reputable seller on these boards and It came with an issue I have never been able to rectify.

There appears to be some kind of Waterhouse slot, for a filter or some such I don't know.

When I mount the lens on my camera the image is incredibly fogged on the ground glass If I cover the slot with tape it fixes the problem but not entirely, it's hard to cover. So light seems to be getting into the lens.

Is there something missing from this lens? I've not been able to use the lens, which I'd love to do, if it's fixable. As I paid a fair price for it.

Does it need a shutter?

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    I've owned three or four of these lenses, specifically the 355mm. One in Copal 3, the other were in a barrel like yours.
    None of them had any slot, so my guess is a custom work.
    I would be curious to see a picture of your lens without the lensboard, the slot area specifically.
    Also curious to know where you ordered a Copal 3 nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Gazzoni View Post
    I've owned three or four of these lenses, specifically the 355mm. One in Copal 3, the other were in a barrel like yours.
    None of them had any slot, so my guess is a custom work.
    I would be curious to see a picture of your lens without the lensboard, the slot area specifically.
    Also curious to know where you ordered a Copal 3 nowadays.
    EBay has a few copal 3s
    Attached some pics

You can see it underneath the aperture indicator mark/circle between the flange and barrel

Here are pictures of one of my similar mounts.
    On mine I don't see much room for any slot between the flange and barrel. Checking your last picture I see your barrel has a black part/ring just below the large white dot of the scale, that part doesn't exist on my samples. Note that my front and rear cells from this mount fit into a Copal 3, not 3S.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20240506_193540.jpg   IMG-20240506-WA0013.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Gazzoni View Post
    Here are pictures of one of my similar mounts.
    On mine I don't see much room for any slot between the flange and barrel. Checking your last picture I see your barrel has a black part/ring just below the large white dot of the scale, that part doesn't exist on my samples. Note that my front and rear cells from this mount fit into a Copal 3, not 3S.
    Yes i see the difference. There's no way to remove the slot as it's all part of the hardware.
    I guess it's a barrel for enlargers as Richard said. I'll just have to suck eggs and mount them into a copal 3. I've had the lens 5 years or so and never used it. Just want to be able to put it to use for some landscapes.

Can you put lightblocking tape inside the barrel? I had a similar issue with an aerial lens butchered by a home machinist and used black aluminum foil tape on the inside of the barrel rather than the outside (something like this: https://www.thorlabs.us/thorProduct....umber=T205-1.0)