Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time opening a sheet film box (Shanghai Film): looking for warnings and advice

Re: First time opening a sheet film box (Shanghai Film): looking for warnings and adv

Using the changing bag, I have loaded one holder. One of the sheets wasn't in fully - I assumed when the dark slide stopped that it was fully back in, but no. If I'd realized, I'd have pulled the film out and tried again. So anyway, that has become a dummy sheet for practice. The other was (and still is) correctly loaded. Having a dummy sheet to horse around with, I practiced loading it into another holder a few times (in changing bag) and I think I've worked out how to do it without the previous misstep.

As a complete beginner, the more difficult part, in my opinion, is the critical aspect of opening a film box, which is why I originally asked this question. It's a bit anxiety inducing when you don't know exactly how the boxes are packed. About Shanghai film, I read that they come in a 2-section box, and also that in the past, there seems to have been some variation in notch placement on the film sheet. I also wasn't sure what would be taped down, and again, fumbling with all this blind is what concerned me.

In the end, the box I received is a 3-section box, the film was in a small plastic bag within a larger plastic bag (both taped, if I remember correctly), and had the notch in the expected place in relation to the emulsion side, fortunately.

This is probably not my first choice in film; I expect to be using Ilford when I can get it at a reasonable price. There wasn't much difference on the day I purchased: the Ilford was a bit more, but I bought the Shanghai mainly because I could receive it the next day, and I think the delivery date of the Ilford was a bit vague.

It's going to take me a while to do my first test shots - first ever large format photos! - and develop them, as I want to work out my developing technique with some TLR photos and 120 film first. And when the day comes I'll probably cram those 4x5 sheets taco-fashion into a 2-reel Paterson tank. Not ideal, from what I've read, but doable. Once I have a bit more budget at my disposal, I'll move to something more suitable for 4x5.

Re: First time opening a sheet film box (Shanghai Film): looking for warnings and adv

Good reminder on the watches, as I have a few with lume. Luckily, with a changing bag, I'm more likely to want to take off the watch anyway before shoving my arm through the elastic cuff.

I'll try out the frame idea to lift the bag "ceiling". Maybe a small cardboard box, or the dowels if that doesn't work out.