Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to fine tune my procedure correcting color negatives.

Re: How to fine tune my procedure correcting color negatives.

As domaz points out, post # 3 looks like AI to me too.

Thanks for that. I appreciate your input but I mentioned that I am using a DSLR to shoot negatives. My Microtek E-6 flatbed scanner with it's light unit worked flawlessly and its software for negatives was perfect. But that was for Windows '95. The newer drivers for newer operating systems yielded progressively worse results. I'm not up to date on the latest products on the market. I had my hat in the ring so to speak during the eighties. Shooting 4x5 transparencies for clients in NYC. I loved it. It was fun and a special time for me. When clients wanted a "Syquest disk" (33 or 88 Mb.) instead of a 4x5 chrome. I knew that the ride was over. Its hard for me to justify buying more photo related stuff, whether it be software or equipment. LF is a great source of information on photo and non photo related topics. I recently looked up "focus stacking." Boy! is that cool?
    Thanks to YouTube there is instruction on so many topics, programs, techniques etc.
    Back in the day a client showed me Photoshop 3.5, it sure was cool but PS 4.0 lured me in. I like marrying the analog with the digital but it's for personal use. Like most people bitten by the photo bug, we seem to have a large variety of interests. They all cost money and time to master. Whatever choice we make there is always a cost. Just trying to have fun Living Life. Thanks. bk

Quote Originally Posted by BKP View Post
    Thanks for that. I appreciate your input but I mentioned that I am using a DSLR to shoot negatives. My Microtek E-6 flatbed scanner with it's light unit worked flawlessly and its software for negatives was perfect. But that was for Windows '95. The newer drivers for newer operating systems yielded progressively worse results. I'm not up to date on the latest products on the market. I had my hat in the ring so to speak during the eighties. Shooting 4x5 transparencies for clients in NYC. I loved it. It was fun and a special time for me. When clients wanted a "Syquest disk" (33 or 88 Mb.) instead of a 4x5 chrome. I knew that the ride was over. Its hard for me to justify buying more photo related stuff, whether it be software or equipment. LF is a great source of information on photo and non photo related topics. I recently looked up "focus stacking." Boy! is that cool?
    Thanks to YouTube there is instruction on so many topics, programs, techniques etc.
    Back in the day a client showed me Photoshop 3.5, it sure was cool but PS 4.0 lured me in. I like marrying the analog with the digital but it's for personal use. Like most people bitten by the photo bug, we seem to have a large variety of interests. They all cost money and time to master. Whatever choice we make there is always a cost. Just trying to have fun Living Life. Thanks. bk
    It seems to me you have everything needed for DSLR scanning with the exception of the NLP plug in for LR as Sergey recommended - this is the way to go, with the advantage of a fully RAW workflow. Trying to come up with a filter pack for your light source is not recommended - and the reason you are not getting good consistent results. LR and raw workflow is a fantastic way of working, there are profound advantages over its analog counterpart - but well with the time, expense and effort to learn.
    http://brucekatzphoto.com

Original join date 2008...

Take a picture on best iPad resolution

and adjust everything on it
    Tin Can

So here is the culprit. In 1966 my dad launched the boat, that he built next to the house. The wood plank road is too magenta, when I remove magenta the hull gets too green. Quite noticeable in the white hull. An experienced Photoshop user could cut a mask around parts of the image and correct only the area that needed the correction. I don't know how to do that. Lightroom has that capability as well. I'm at the bottom of that learning curve as well. Still haven't bought my first cell phone. "ipad resolution" what's that? I guess I'll have to accept "good enough"Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Otto's Tenth St. Shipyard.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	249595Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tenth Street Dry Dock2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	249596

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Otto's Tenth St. Shipyard-3.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	249598

I've taken the liberty of CC your jpg in LR - color correction took 10 seconds - no masks needed - your scan is not very good, you can easily do much better if you are willing to learn LR and the plug-in. You've been given some pretty good advice on how to move forward - learn LR basics.
    Last edited by bdkphoto; 3-May-2024 at 15:15. Reason: Clarity
    http://brucekatzphoto.com

Original join date 2008...

Thanks for your help. It's definitely an improved CC version. Yeah, I'll look into learning more about Lightroom. I appreciate your input. bkp.