PDA

View Full Version : Help Id Early? French? Landscape lens Pencil marked

Duboscq159
20-Jul-2024, 09:45
A little help needed! a successful cheeky "best offer" and it was mine. I had seen what remains of the swinging aperture/shutter and despite being installed backwards it was complete enough to work with. On arrival I naturally checked for pencil marks on the edge of the element and first there was a surprise for me the element held in place with Gum arabic? aswell as retaining ring. So with gummy fingers I held it up against the light I can make out some letters but its not a maker I'm familiar with and while it won't improve my images by knowing its going to bug me till I know!!

The lens itself has a 12" focal length and the aperture that remains is f/13 ish (focal length divide by stop diameter), stands 8.5cm and barrel is 7cm in diameter. Coverage looks like 1/1 plate at most so likely made for 5x7 halfplate or french equivalent. The only other mark anywhere on the lens is 6 stamped in the rear of the aperture plate.

"Physician heal yourself" well trying letters infront of what I could make out and sim sala bim "Maugey" sprung out of the ethers and the inscription I have matches one on a "Maugey Portrait Petzval" Denis Krieg's has in his wetplatedreams shop?

I'm still interested on anything anybody can contribute.

Thanks
Sven