PDA

View Full Version : Lens CLA / shutter CLA

Reverb
29-May-2024, 01:53
Reading the recent thread about shutters, I noticed that shutter repair seemed to be treated separately from general lens CLA. As I'm new to LF and LF lenses, I'd like to know a little more about that. I've already managed to acquire two lenses that need some work: one for inaccurate shutter speeds, and the other for aperture blades so oily that they don't open and close properly. Currently stuck so that the aperture is some godawful shape.

Actually, I'd really like to know where I can get this done in Japan and a rough idea of cost. Maybe one of the Japan-based members has some input on that?

Tin Can
29-May-2024, 05:17
How many people worldwide

have parts for CLA

and skill

?

Tin Can
29-May-2024, 05:30
Try member Kumar, operates from Japan

He has is very honest and my best source

Ulophot
29-May-2024, 09:56
+1 for Kumar

Reverb
29-May-2024, 15:36
Will do. Thanks.

Mark Sampson
29-May-2024, 15:45
Lenses, generally having no moving parts, don't need Lubricating or Adjusting- and you can mostly Clean them yourself if they get dirty. The shutters, on the other hand, are almost all clockwork and will eventually become inaccurate or non-functional. It's just an oddity in the terminology.
I'll recommend Kumar as well.

Reverb
29-May-2024, 20:57
I was just using CLA as a catch-all term. However, having spent more time in SLR world, I did forget to take account of the fact that the aperture is physically more a part of the shutter mechanism than the lens. When I say CLA, I've just been thinking in terms of dropping the whole lens/shutter assembly off with someone who does repairs with the request "Please sort this out". I figured that's about what people are doing when they buy old cameras and lenses and want them back in full working order.

Oren Grad
29-May-2024, 21:09
The "lens" part is the optical cell(s). Sometimes you'll run into a lens that has haze, fungus or other trouble on internal surfaces. So one could certainly have a situation where the cells need to be opened for cleaning and then reassembled with careful alignment.