PDA

View Full Version : Graflex Speed Graphic Permanent Portrait Modification

polaroid_memory
13-Jul-2023, 05:54
Hi all,

Technical question for you all today.

I only ever shoot my Graflex Speed Graphic (GSG) with an Aero Ektar (AE) lens in portrait orientation. I hate that to do this I have to affix it to my tripod head at 90 degrees. I operate my GSGAE like another other large format camera, I do not use the viewfinder/rangefinder focusing in any way, shape or form.

So, I have come up with a quick 3D model to place between the camera body and the Graflok back, that will attach to the wooden frame on one side, with holes on the other side corresponding with the back when rotated 90 degrees, permanently giving me portrait orientation.

Altering the focal plane poses no issue for me and the way I shoot. I have plenty of bellows to allow for this shift.

The opening at the back of the GSG is 149mm wide / 5.86in and 168mm high / 6.61in, so can in fact enable portrait orientation with the back rotated 90 degrees.

My question pertains to the shutter curtain and the way it moves across the film during exposure. Assuming we are looking at a sheet of film as loading in a GSS in normal landscape orientation, the shutter always moves across the 4 inch width of the film, regardless of the cameras orientation. However, by turning the back 90 degrees, the shutter will now pass over the 5 inch length of the film. (I hope I have explained that well enough).

So in doing this, by now changing the way the shutter will move across the film, will it change the effective shutter speeds of the camera when making an exposure? I assume the shutter of a GSG will move at the same pace from start to finish when the shutter is released, so I do not imagine it causing an issue, but wanted to ask for the expertise of those more experienced than me.

Any insight and/or advice on this matter would be appreciated. If you object to my “frankensteining” of my camera, please do not hijack this post with your grievances. If you must vent, send me a PM…

Alan Townsend
13-Jul-2023, 07:02
Hi all,

Technical question for you all today.

I only ever shoot my Graflex Speed Graphic (GSG) with an Aero Ektar (AE) lens in portrait orientation. I hate that to do this I have to affix it to my tripod head at 90 degrees. I operate my GSGAE like another other large format camera, I do not use the viewfinder/rangefinder focusing in any way, shape or form.

So, I have come up with a quick 3D model to place between the camera body and the Graflok back, that will attach to the wooden frame on one side, with holes on the other side corresponding with the back when rotated 90 degrees, permanently giving me portrait orientation.

Altering the focal plane poses no issue for me and the way I shoot. I have plenty of bellows to allow for this shift.

The opening at the back of the GSG is 149mm wide / 5.86in and 168mm high / 6.61in, so can in fact enable portrait orientation with the back rotated 90 degrees.

My question pertains to the shutter curtain and the way it moves across the film during exposure. Assuming we are looking at a sheet of film as loading in a GSS in normal landscape orientation, the shutter always moves across the 4 inch width of the film, regardless of the cameras orientation. However, by turning the back 90 degrees, the shutter will now pass over the 5 inch length of the film. (I hope I have explained that well enough).

So in doing this, by now changing the way the shutter will move across the film, will it change the effective shutter speeds of the camera when making an exposure? I assume the shutter of a GSG will move at the same pace from start to finish when the shutter is released, so I do not imagine it causing an issue, but wanted to ask for the expertise of those more experienced than me.

Any insight and/or advice on this matter would be appreciated. If you object to my “frankensteining” of my camera, please do not hijack this post with your grievances. If you must vent, send me a PM…

Which model do you have? On my Anniversary Speed Graphic, the shutter moves up and down across the five in wide direction so would move side to side in a permanent portrait mode. The back is the size you give, but the baffles reduce it to 4x5, so your adapter would need to be pretty thick. The shutter would also be that new distance away from the film. So your worried about the shutter not having time to accellerate fully since you are using it earlier? I think you could test for this by looking at the uniformity of exposure. Photograph a grey or white card, and check that the density is the same across the negative.

I would think the space between shutter and film would be more of a problem. I Frankensteined mine, and suspect this is common, but I can always revert mine to normal. Mine serves as my enlarger, like a diy graflarger. I think you could do the same, or make it easier to do so if you choose.

I doubt many would be critical of this, since they are such ugly old cameras by modern standards and not that highly regarded since they are so common. Maybe there's space inside your adapter for a reflex mirror. Just kidding.

BrianShaw
13-Jul-2023, 07:22
Anotber option would be to get/use a SuperGraphic, which has a rotating back. No focal plane shutter, though.

Dugan
13-Jul-2023, 08:20
A slick option:
Kumar has a roll film vertical 645 RB67 back adapted to a 4x5 Graflok back for sale in the FS section, page 5.
Badda bing, badda boom...done, easy peasy.

Neal Chaves
13-Jul-2023, 10:19
"So, I have come up with a quick 3D model to place between the camera body and the Graflok back, that will attach to the wooden frame on one side, with holes on the other side corresponding with the back when rotated 90 degrees, permanently giving me portrait orientation."

The bellows in Graphic press cameras is rectangular, not square like on cameras with rotating backs. The Graphic bellows will intrude into your 4X5 vertical frame. You are better off using the old press photographer mod that later became the Polaroid Big Shot Camera. I have posted on this mod in the past. If the posts are gone, here is a photo of the camera and two photos, woman with horse full frame 4X5 with a 210mm lens and woman with dog full frame 4X5 with 150mm lens.

jnantz
14-Jul-2023, 01:24
I really wouldn't worry too much about that. I have used a GSG and a 3A in portrait and landscape orientations for years and noticed no discernible difference. you might consider taking 2 views, one in each orientation and do test exposures and see how it might effect your situation ... you know, before you do anything that is not reversible ...

Tin Can
14-Jul-2023, 05:10
No strobes?

No hot lights?

rjbuzzclick
14-Jul-2023, 10:49
Does your Speed Graphic have a 1/4" tripod screw on the left side under the strap? If so, you could just remove the strap and mount it in portrait orientation on top of your tripod with out having to lay it over 90 degrees sideways.

Then again, maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, and you don't like having the focus knobs on the side, in which case my response doesn't help.