PDA

View Full Version : Set up for Packard shutter

altb44
11-Apr-2023, 21:18
Hi everyone

I’m sure I saw a thread about these somewhere but can’t find it.

I got a Packard shutter in a box with other camera parts awhile ago. It’s in great condition but is missing the pneumatic hose( if that’s what you call it) and bulb. I’d like to install it in a camera and try it out. Does anyone know someone who sells these?

Thanks
Anne

jim_jm
11-Apr-2023, 21:51
You can find brand-new bulbs with hose and fittings from the Packard-Ideal Company (https://packardshutter.com/shop/page/2/) online.
For a bit less, there are usually several available on eBay most of the time, like this one here (https://www.ebay.com/itm/134122688577?hash=item1f3a55d041:g:4IMAAOSwrl5axmBi&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4Gj5HDO1tjmMWbbm%2BwXS9pbPEabXVlsuaDlOZBxXJ%2FBs3p9Bpb%2BV5PsE0n68a%2BHHTo108XxDqqeaIRq2DbAQ5xPPk3dE0IlcAOw6C7VhFhLXgbg92fsSsMz8PKLTGMw9GYo0nr0BxhJhER%2FSmtBNgadtzjsDOSBuZhuOkTKhl8FZTONHS0nJh2rhb%2F7Vynz3yC3M7qCT753Fokzt3C06MvS9CZrfyEDqu7ozO%2BtPmxOHg00vzCRZ%2FLszu7wtNuV4u%2F0VfeZdrKCggDDRrrR6bLjit5CIZUPb4MYMAjdvv4cl%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR7bR6rvuYQ). (No affiliation to seller)
Just make sure the hose and bulb are undamaged and the rubber has not deteriorated, otherwise they're very simple in use.
I've adapted several Packards to older lenses, mounted behind the lens board in the first 2 pics below, or fitted to the front of the lens as in the third pic. Really reliable shutters and easy to repair, if needed.

Tin Can
12-Apr-2023, 04:48
Read the Packard website and practice, they don't wear out, but many are damaged by abuse

I like more hose, at least 6 ft so I can stand behind the camera

I also Have a 50' RO hose to extend it in Studio and out

altb44
12-Apr-2023, 07:05
Thank you and thanks for the pics. Very helpful!

altb44
12-Apr-2023, 07:08
Thank you. I’m looking forward to trying it.

Axelwik
12-Apr-2023, 20:15
I use an auto parts store siphon pump bulb (remove the fitting at one end) and some automotive vacuum hose. To use the Packard shutter put your thumb over the open end of the bulb (where the fitting was removed), squeeze to open the shutter. To keep the shutter open for a time exposure take your thumb off and then un-squeeze (release the pressure on) the bulb; it should stay open. To close the shutter squeeze the bulb, place thumb over the hole, and un-squeeze. For a momentary exposure, 1/4 to a few seconds, just keep your thumb over the hole and squeeze and un-squeeze.

Tin Can
13-Apr-2023, 04:40
My hands were so weak when I started with Packards 12 years ago I had very poor results

Not that Packards take great strength but you will need to practice to get consistent

I also learned my actuatual times vary by Packard size

Smallest are fastest

I used an optical light timer to get a grip on it!

I see it is sold by https://www.catlabs.info/product/photoplug-optical-shutter-speed-tester

I lose the darn thing

altb44
13-Apr-2023, 20:46
Hand strength is something to consider. I have arthritis in my hands…wondering if this is indeed a good idea. In any case it will be fun to try

j.e.simmons
14-Apr-2023, 03:03
I found the bulb sold by Packard to be more reliable in the amount of air and pressure, thus a more reliable shutter speed, and to also take a bit less hand strength.

Axelwik
14-Apr-2023, 13:34
For a quick trip to the auto parts store and less than $10 it's worth a try.

Tin Can
14-Apr-2023, 13:48
The NOS from Packard is way better

You want the wood plug too

I found the bulb sold by Packard to be more reliable in the amount of air and pressure, thus a more reliable shutter speed, and to also take a bit less hand strength.

Tin Can
14-Apr-2023, 13:53
I post this as a very rare, all plastic and rubber 4X5 monorail

Very strong

I had one and sold it, my mistake

Calumet Cadet 4X5 Camera with...

cowanw
14-Apr-2023, 14:48
If you have trouble with squeezing and want to use very long hoses like TC then a vinyl tubing between the camera and the bulb will expand less under pressure and the pressure will not be dissipated.
I agree the NOS Packard bulbs are superior but jim_jm's is excellent for lighter shutters. I have both.

altb44
14-Apr-2023, 19:40
That may be one way to make it possible. Or I could just put the bulb on a table and use my elbow, like I do with other troublesome stuff.

That wouldn’t have much control though.

Well…
Since I’ve never let this condition get in the way of anything , anyway, I’m just going to go for it and see what happens..

jim_jm
14-Apr-2023, 23:05
Consistent, smooth firing of the shutter tends to just takes some practice with the bulb and hose. If the shutter is in good condition, this will make things a lot easier as well.
If the shutter needs cleaning or service this is also easy without any special tools. Both halves of the shutter housing are steel and can benefit from a good internal cleaning with steel wool if rust or corrosion are present. The blades may be steel or plastic, but usually just need a good wiping down. Any kinks in the shutter blades can easily be fixed. If corroded, the brass piston can be cleaned with steel wool and Brasso. To finish, I wipe everything with a rag and furniture polish before assembly. No oil or lubricant needed at all. I've managed to restore some seriously neglected shutters this way.

warpath
4-May-2023, 12:39
I have the ebay one. Pretty sure its the same bulb as this... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H4VF9C7/?coliid=I1PANUUVDEMKK5&colid=3NJD17Y0NEMNS&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Had I seen this before I would have just made a few by myself instead

Edit: actually i just saw a review, eh scratch that idea haha