PDA

View Full Version : Copal "electric" or "electronic" battery-powered shutters

Tom Nirider
21-Feb-2023, 19:59
These seem to be hard to find...does anyone know where I could find one (or two).. In Copal 0 and/or Copal 1 sizes? Thanks and any information on these shutters would be welcomed.

domaz
21-Feb-2023, 20:01
I've never seen a Copal 0 electronic shutter. I'm not sure they exist, unless you are talking about the ones that had to be used with an external control unit. I have both a Copal 1 and Compur 1 Electronics shutters, they are very nice. The best way to find them is really to buy them with a common (read: cheaper) lenses honestly. They don't come up on their own very often on Ebay or KEH etc.

xkaes
22-Feb-2023, 06:38
Fuji offered their Fujinon W 180mm, 210mm & 250mm with an optional Copal electronic shutter. They were all #1 -- and hard to find.

Embdude
22-Feb-2023, 13:01
Looks like fun!

Drew Wiley
22-Feb-2023, 14:00
There was a whole series of them for process lenses, especially Nikkors. You just have to research the correct application - the graphics industry. A lot of them were made. I have one stashed away somewhere, on an enormous lens disc. And believe me, it ain't a no. 1 shutter; easily handled the diameter of a 760mm lens. I suppose the solenoid trigger mechanism would be easy to cannibalize and adapt to a smaller shutter, however. Never tried.

Tracy Storer
22-Feb-2023, 15:46
Drew is referring to Copal DS shutters, which are more like Packard shutters in a round housing and run by solenoids. Copal also made #1 and #3 shutters that had full range of speeds (up to 8s IIRC on the #3) and had a goofy battery holder sticking out the bottom and a connection that looked like an old bi-post sync. connection.

There was a whole series of them for process lenses, especially Nikkors. You just have to research the correct application - the graphics industry. A lot of them were made. I have one stashed away somewhere, on an enormous lens disc. And believe me, it ain't a no. 1 shutter; easily handled the diameter of a 760mm lens. I suppose the solenoid trigger mechanism would be easy to cannibalize and adapt to a smaller shutter, however. Never tried.

Drew Wiley
22-Feb-2023, 16:00
Yep. I should dig it up and see if I can adapt it to the rear of a Sinar board. But its way way back somewhere on a high storage loft I'm not in a mood to get to anytime soon.

xkaes
22-Feb-2023, 16:24

Paul Ewins
22-Feb-2023, 19:57
The only size 0 shutters I have seen are ones with external control boxes. I have a Prontor Magnetic in size 0 which has a cable attached with a connector on the end and a couple of Compur Electronic size 0 which look like a miniature version of the 5s but have solder terminals on the size instead of a socket. FWIW I have only seen the Copal in Size 1. I like the Compur Electronics in 1 and 3 but I have had a lot of trouble getting a 5s that works properly which is a shame as that would be a really useful size.

Tom Nirider
22-Feb-2023, 20:10
That's the one!

ridax
22-Feb-2023, 23:02
I've never seen a Copal 0 electronic shutter. I'm not sure they exist

I am glad to have a set of the #0 lens cells to #1 shutter adaptors made by Rodenstock. I do not use them yet but take care not to forget where I store them....

jga
23-Feb-2023, 07:15
I studied electronics, so I have soft spot for electric/electronic shutters, and I collected some. I know you found the one you are searching for, but I wanted to share some pictures as reference.

This is a copal electric (size 0). it is not battery powered, but has a cable, and an internal solenoid that opens and closes the shutter.

This is the standard Compur electronic 1, I believe quite similar to your Copal electronic. I found that the Saft LS 17500 batteries are a very good replacement for the original PX-21

This is a Prontor Magnetic (size 0). I have several of those, they are quite similar to the Copal electric, but the coil of the solenoid is very different (in terms of electrical parameters).
This was part of my 8x10 (defunct?) project of making a compact wide angle camera. I even managed to score a Rodenstock Perigon 130mm for it. :-/

This is a Prontor Electric E64. This is a leaf shutter with a 64mm hole. I have also two E100 one E150 (100mm and 150mm opening respectively). The solenoids are different in all 4 shutters.

Tom Nirider
24-Feb-2023, 10:49
This is the shutter I have. Was hoping to locate a couple more... Will keep looking!

Gary Beasley
25-Feb-2023, 08:37
I had a 300mm lens for a while with a Copal electronic. Batteries were a pain to find so I wired a two cell aaa holder to the back of the lens board and ran it with that. Never had a problem with it.