PDA

View Full Version : Seiko #00 shutter

Feanolas
19-Sep-2022, 11:46
In a old LF Fujinon lens catalog, there is a table mentioning that Fujinon SWD and SW lenses are mounted in #00 shutters, which have a 18mm max aperture diameter. Usually, I read that Seiko or Copal shutters do not exist in #00.

But they do !
At least Seiko did #00 shutters, I have one on an old SWD 5.6/65mm.

It is actually exactly the same shutter as a #0, but the shutter blades do not open completely ! They are stopped at around 20mm diameter, it is obvious when the front lens is removed, but not visible otherwise. Aperture opens completely however.

This is an interesting adaptation. I would venture that it makes the shutter speeds more accurate at high speed since they don't have to travel as far, as it is not needed.

I think they changed this to rationalize the production; not sure the improvement in speed made such a big difference between a #00 and a #0 to motivate two different productions. Not to mention the head scratching when mounting a lens requiring a #0 on a #00 shutter and seeing the shutter blades sticking out! :confused:

aphcl84
19-Sep-2022, 17:48
Some Horseman Topcor lenses were put in these shutters, I have a 90mm that I can't swap the shutter with other lenses because of this and the fact that it has a different thread size.

xkaes
19-Sep-2022, 18:18
I've never read or heard of any Fujinon LF lens in a #00 shutter, but you might find one that someone used on one:

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byfl.htm

Per Madsen
20-Sep-2022, 01:55
I have a Schneider Super-Angulon 90/8.0 in a Syncro-Compur #00 shutter. The shutter works perfectly. The only irritating item are that T are missing, so you have to use a locking thread release.

Are T also missing from the Seiko #00 ?

xkaes
20-Sep-2022, 06:31
In a old LF Fujinon lens catalog, there is a table mentioning that Fujinon SWD and SW lenses are mounted in #00 shutters,

Do you have a copy of this that you can share?

Salmo22
20-Sep-2022, 08:27
Do you have a copy of this that you can share?

Maybe this will help.

xkaes
20-Sep-2022, 12:27
WOW!!! Thanks for that. That's completely new to me!!!

Is there a date on the catalog/brochure? They are usually on the bottom corner of the last page.

I know that the Fuji literature has its share of errors/typos/etc., but if this is an error it's a DOOZY. But since you have such a lens -- an f5.6 no less -- it's not an error.

I'll have to keep my eye open for them.

Anyone else have a SW (probably only SHORT focal lengths) or SWD with a #00 shutter?

Bernice Loui
20-Sep-2022, 12:48
Fujinon SWD...

Had a 65mm SWD, was mounted in a Copal# 0, not Copal# 00..

Never seen a Fujinon view camera lenses in a Copal# 00 shutter.. If Fujinon offered a 47mm SWD then the# 00 shutter makes sense. Never seen a SW or SWD series Fujinon with a focal lenght shorter than 65mm. Typically this series is 65mm, 75mm, 90mm, 105mm, 120mm, 125mm_in# 0 shutter.

gotta wonder if this is a typo...
Bernice

WOW!!! Thanks for that. That's completely new to me!!!

Is there a date on the catalog/brochure? They are usually on the bottom corner of the last page.

I know that the Fuji literature has its share of errors/typos/etc., but if this is an error it's a DOOZY. But since you have such a lens -- an f5.6 no less -- it's not an error.

I'll have to keep my eye open for them.

Anyone else have a SW (probably only SHORT focal lengths) or SWD with a #00 shutter?

xkaes
20-Sep-2022, 13:01
Never seen a Fujinon view camera lenses in a Copal# 00 shutter.. If Fujinon offered a 47mm SWD then the# 00 shutter makes sense.
Bernice

65mm was as wide as Fuji went, but the OP has a SWD 65mm in a #00 shutter -- and Fuji literature to boot.

I've never seen or heard of this either.

Can we be the only ones?

xkaes
20-Sep-2022, 18:01
When I do a GOOGLE search for "Seiko #00" or "Seiko No.00", I get nothing. Seems odd to me.

aphcl84
20-Sep-2022, 19:00
I went through my collection of Fujinon documents/manuals and found the same table mentioning a #00 Seiko shutter, they were on two D.O. Industries pamphlets titled "Fujinon Lenses" dated 8/82 and 3/85.

The shutter that I have like this appears to be the same as any other #0 other than the fact that it doesn't open fully and it has the slightly larger cell threads that some of the Seiko shutters have.

B.S.Kumar
20-Sep-2022, 19:38
I have a couple of single coated Fujinon 90mm f/8 lenses in Seiko 0 shutters with the shutter blades restricted to the lenses' f/8 maximum apertures. There are no markings to indicate that they are 00 size. The shutter threads are the same as any other Seiko or Copal 0 size.

Kumar

xkaes
21-Sep-2022, 11:46
I'm willing to "chalk" this one up to a major misunderstanding on Fuji's part -- as opposed to a typo.

Feanolas
22-Sep-2022, 15:05
I have a couple of single coated Fujinon 90mm f/8 lenses in Seiko 0 shutters with the shutter blades restricted to the lenses' f/8 maximum apertures. There are no markings to indicate that they are 00 size. The shutter threads are the same as any other Seiko or Copal 0 size.

Kumar

Exactly, that is what I meant. Here is a picture of the shutter with fully opened shutter blades and aperture at 5.6. Aperture scale is LS30, I think it corresponds to a 8/90mm, it does not fit the 65mm that is mounted on it.

These are probably what was referred to as #00 in the D.O doc mentioned by Salmo22 (which is the one where I found the info). There are no outward markings and as I said, unless one removes the front element, there is no way to distinguish them from a #0. So they may have gone simply unnoticed all that time ! :confused: