PDA

View Full Version : Film Holder Price Drop?

Drew Bedo
14-Apr-2022, 07:21
Just noodeling around on the-bay this AM and noticed an offer for ten brand new "Crown" brand 4x5 film holders for what amounts to around $7.50 each.

Looking around more, I have seen other, perhaps better-known brands offered for not that much more. Often, they are in lots of ten or so.

Is there a shift in the market for 4x5 film holders or am I just out of touch?

abruzzi
14-Apr-2022, 07:38
there is another recent thread around here somewhere that suggest the quality man not be all that. Nonetheless, the fact that new ones are being made may be a good thing. (I have no personal experience, just relaying what I read.)

Tin Can
14-Apr-2022, 07:44
Made in Taiwan New

Taiwan makes good stuff

Everybody in our World is scrambling for cash

BrianShaw
14-Apr-2022, 08:09
I wouldn't characterize your observation as "out of touch" but it is such a small sample size that valid conclusions about "the market" are not likely.

I think a lot of the price variation is a combination of how motivated a seller is to move the merch. For 7 or 8 bucks each... that seems about nominal pricing to me based on completed sales (not counting the Toyo sales since they seem to always be valued higher than all others). Like @abruzzi said, I'm shocked that anyone is making these new; I though that day had long since past.

domaz
14-Apr-2022, 08:19
I was just at a camera swap sale where 4x5 film holders were selling for about $1 each... he had huge stacks of them. Now if you wanted 5x7 the price went up a bit and 8x10 holders were still quite expensive ($50 for old wooden ones).