Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is this ad unrealistic?

Re: Is this ad unrealistic?

That is the kind of work that most high-schoolers with a class in photo-shop can do now, and $15 hour is good money for them. it does raise the question-if he is shooting them, why doesn't he use a white or black background and make it easy?

$15 an hour............hmmmmmmmmmm. That's not bad if you haven't worked in five years.

Widows and Orphans Beware

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Putting aside the questions of ownership and why they are doing JPGs, for an MFA out of school, that is a lot better wage than waiting tables, and even has something to do with photography.
    Depends on where you're waiting tables. Here in New York banquet servers at the large hotels make 150 to 200 thousand a year. Most of them can barely speak English.

Go figure.

I thought we all had to be rich and famous photographers to post here?

Looks like typical Craigslist fare. Much better than many in fact.

The problem is whether they have enough work to keep you busy for long. There is all of the overhead of responding, sending images, talking with the photog, maybe meeting, ftp both ways, etc. For how many images? 10? 100? 1000?

Sounds like carpel tunnel to me.

Over the long term, youy should also figure in the cost of a computer, Photoshop, office space, etc. But that is a "sunk cost" (already done) for most of us.

And yes, there are many places overseas that will do this for $1, $2, $4 per image, depending on expectations and quality of image.

PS: I know where you can make a great $10 an hour for actually **shooting** those images. Your camera, lighting, computer at their location. Maybe 4 hours every few months. With driving, prep, setup, tear down, processing, naming, and ftp'ing, figure it at about $3 an hour. That is for crappy images you can't use or resell elsewhere. Brought to you by your friendly local Craigslist!! Hello McD ....

To answer the original question- it is only unrealistic if they don't find anyone to do the work for those wages.
    My guess is that they will.

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    To answer the original question- it is only unrealistic if they don't find anyone to do the work for those wages.
    My guess is that they will.
    Either way, they are going to get what they pay for.

I think it's a mistake to equate cost and quality in this economy. Many are going to be forced to do what they might not of otherwise wanted or even thought possible. We all may have to reorder our cliches, and our pride, somewhat.

And if you do remain untouched, try not to flaunt it too much.

Colin, what I meant with that is that people normally charge in proportion to their skill level, consistency and experience - which put together should roughly equate or at least be a very good indicator of the output quality. Sure, when in dire straits, most if not all of us will work for less or even just for food, but that is an aberration of the moment. Just like getting a gig that offers double your normal rate is on the other end of the spectrum.

My point is that aberrations or irregularities do not last long and those who base their business on them as a norm are likely to end up with likewise results.

Otherwise, there'd be no difference between a Walmart and a Nordstrom and one of them would have no basis for existence. What the current state of economy does is cause most if not all in-betweeners to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    And if you do remain untouched, try not to flaunt it too much.
    And God, no! I've been in the web business for more than 10 years now, I remember very vividly the dot-crash years! I survived with very little damage compared to many, but boy, did that time teach humility even the worst type A personalities! So, no, I am not the one to flaunt what I have or taunt those who don't.

I'm just saying that nobody is going to value your work or mine more than we do, only less, hence we should try and keep the bar as high as we can.

I just meant to say that I think that 'normal' might not apply for some time to come... And I do hope as many remain untouched as possible. But enough of this cheery talk!