Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: March/April View Camera Magazine out?

Re: March/April View Camera Magazine out?

Hold back the retail? The March/April issue is not in any local Los Angeles store...not Borders, not B&N...and it's March 28!

The issues were sent to the distributors weeks ago.

My goodness, do you really think I am the all powerful wizard of the post office and the retail distribution system.

here is what we are going to do.

Get the may/June issue done a little earlier and send it out to the subscribers before we release the copies into the retail distribution system, by at least a week. If this does not solve the problem we will hold back the retail copies a little longer until some parity is reached between the subscribers getting their copies and the stores getting theirs about the same time.

steve simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I have longstanding subscriptions to View Camera and Lenswork, and as of today, a new one to Focus. All three are excellent investments in keeping up with what's going on in photography and art today, and their arrival in my mailbox always makes that day seem a little brighter. My compliments and appreciation to all three publishers.
    I also have a subscription. I do like the magazine and I think it often has interesting articles, like Sandy's article on new T-Max film in the recent issues. I do not have problems with errors that sometimes happen, but I have to disagree with Mark on the artistic level of the magazine. I do not think it keeps anyone up to what is going on in today's art. I really think there is no comparison with Aperture which I also subscribe.

best wishes,

Jan

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Thanks Steve. It's really a test of will power to see it at the store and resist the temptation to read it before it arrives in the mail.

The current issue is on the stands here in the bay area for a couple or so weeks now. Until I subscribed, I usually purchased VC from Keeble & Shuchat Photography store in Palo Alto. I noticed that they usually had it on display a good week or more before Borders.

Great issue Steve! I even like the deceased people shots. Keep up the great work and you will always have us following you!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Jan_6568 View Post
    I also have a subscription. I do like the magazine and I think it often has interesting articles, like Sandy's article on new T-Max film in the recent issues. I do not have problems with errors that sometimes happen, but I have to disagree with Mark on the artistic level of the magazine. I do not think it keeps anyone up to what is going on in today's art. I really think there is no comparison with Aperture which I also subscribe.

best wishes,

Jan
    Hi, Jan! I guess it's just a different take on the very loaded concept of Art. For me, the work Aperture features is too shrill and demanding, clawing for a place in the art world. While View Camera has a big emphasis on the technical and on photography outside the art world, the fine art photography is does feature tends in my mind to be more considerate of the discipline and tradition. And I doubt that Jim Galli, Rob Kendricks, Kerik Kouklis, or even (ironically) Paul Caponigro could make it into today's Aperture.

But that's my own personal take and preference; I can see where someone else could make a strong case for the opposite. I suppose that's why there's pretty much just one version of each such art or photography magazine. Vive La Différence...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Steve

Thanks for another month of interesting reading. As a LF Photographer I can never understand how someone can complain about the only real LF magazine available. The subsciption rate is reasonable and only pennies compared to what I spend for film etc for my LF work.

I thank you for the effort and look forward to meeting you at FOTO 3!
    Scott Squires

www.scottsquires.com

View Camera is a fine magazine but I do not like pictures of decaying bodies. In my opinion there are enough picture of dead people from the Middle East already.

Otherwise, it is a very good magazine.

Thank you Steve.

Tomaas

And I thought that that particular portfolio was the most interesting one by far. Just wished there had been some context included. Even the artist's web site did not mention the what, where, and why the photos were taken, only that a book is coming out. Personally I have taken photos at work that grossed me out more than the Kendrick portfolio.

Steve: I for one would greatly appreciate it if you could put the context or a little blurb about technique on the ViewCamera web site about the Kendrick portfolio. Not a complaint, just a request.

Like um, don't like um. At least they are provocative. They are tintypes which is a wet plate process. Kendrick is best known for his tintypes of Texas cowboys which have appeared in View Camera and National Geographic.

There was a lot more in the issue. Any comments?

steve