Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking with 7x17

Re: Backpacking with 7x17

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    I used to have a Folmer Schwing with 4 holders and 5 lens. Recently acquired a Phillips 7x17 with 6 holders and now 6 lens.
    How much does the camera without the lenses and film holders weigh? Is it more than the Chamonix (10lb)?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    I am heading to New Mexico for a few overnights and would like to get the system, tent, ground pad and bag to location on my back.
    I wish you a great trip! Let us know how it goes?

Enjoy that wonderful camera!! No one else will get one from now on, I expect!

Asher

[QUOTE=Asher Kelman;294538]

how much do your cameras weigh? (We know the Chamonix is 10 lb). Then what happens to the negative and making the print?

I also have a Chamonix.

So here are the 5 key questions I see. Do any of you:

In answer to you questions.

1. I scan my negatives with a tabloid size scanner that scans the entire negative at one time, no need for stitching. Usually make copies of prints with a digital camera.

2. I do not have a 7X17 enlarger.

3. I only make contact prints, with in-camera and digital negatives.

4. I print with a number of alternative processes, incluidng carbon transfer, kallitype, palladium and vandyke.

5. I do not send any of my work out to a photography lab?

My favorite films are TMAX-400 and Ilford FP4+ because both develop good contrast for printing with alternative processes.

Sandy King

How much does the camera without the lenses and film holders weigh? Is it more than the Chamonix (10lb)?
    The camera alone weighs more like 11+ lbs. A very innovative design though. Very fortunate to come by one.

Don't scan; no enlarger, only a light bulb, only contact prints, mostly silver, some palladium/plat. - I do not send any of my work out. My favorite film is whatever I can get my hands on and learn how to work with it...

[QUOTE=sanking;

1. I scan my negatives with a tabloid size scanner that scans the entire negative at one time, no need for stitching. Usually make copies of prints with a digital camera.

Sandy King[/QUOTE]

Sandy
    What scanner do you use? It would be great if I did not have to stitch with the 4990.
    Scott Squires

www.scottsquires.com

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    So Kirk and the two Scotts and Hugo,

how much do your cameras weigh? (We know the Chamonix is 10 lb). Then what happens to the negative and making the print?

So here are the 5 key questions I see. Do any of you:

1. scan your prints?
    2. have a 7x17 enlarger?
    3. only do contact prints?
    4. do platinum/gold etc prints?
    5. send your work out to a photography lab?

Also what film do you use?

A lot of questions, but you guys would kow

Thanks so much for sharing. It seems once one starts with pnoramic format, it's addictive!

Asher
    (1) My Canham 717 weighs 13 lbs. Keiths website says it should weigh 10 lbs?
    (2) No enlarger
    (3) Contact prints only
    (4) No Platinum/Gold yet
    (5) I use a CPP-2 and 2850 drums (two 717 at a time) for developing and do not send anything out.
    (6) Film is FP4
    (7) I do scan my negatives with a 4990 and stitch.
    Scott Squires

www.scottsquires.com

An ancient’s (67 years) perspective:

Baby Jogger with 20 inch wheels and 100 pound shocks. This only works on trails and open fields. I wish I could go where you want to go Steve. On board are: Phillips 7x17 mounted on the big Ries tripod and head, cooler bag with five lenses-meter-loupe-tools-stuff, up to seven film holders in the individual MC Photo bags sold by Quality Camera. This gear and an 8x10 Phillips mounted on the smaller Ries in the back of a Toyota SUV. One or two yellow lady Labradors to keep me company and warn me of visitors when under the cloth.

1. scan your prints? - no
    2. have a 7x17 enlarger?- only an 8x10
    3. only do contact prints? – Kentmere Fineprint VC. I print using VC filters under an Aristo cold light on a Durst 138S
    4. do platinum/gold etc prints? - no
    5. send your work out to a photography lab?- Might as well do digital as not have the pleasure of doing the film myself.

Film: T Max 400 and FP 4+ developed in Rollo Pyro

John

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Squires View Post
    Sandy
    What scanner do you use? It would be great if I did not have to stitch with the 4990.

I am now using a Scitex EverSmart Pro. This is a very large and heavy professional quality flatbed scanner.

Before I got the EverSmart Pro I used an Epson 1600XL and a Microtek 9800XL, which are no longer sold but can be found used on ebay in the $1k range, give or take a few hundred. These models have been replaced by the Epson 10000XL and the Microtek 1000XL, which go for $2k or a bit more.

Since you will not be enlarging more than 2X-3X the less expensive used Espson 1600XL or Microtek 9800XL would probably be satisfactory for scanning 7X17, if you can find one in good condition.

Sandy King

Scott,

I use Jobo 2850 tank too. How do you put two negatives there without letting them touch each other? Do you use some kind of divider? I process one sheet a time. A big waste of time and chemicals.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Scott,

I use Jobo 2850 tank too. How do you put two negatives there without letting them touch each other? Do you use some kind of divider? I process one sheet a time. A big waste of time and chemicals.

Thanks.
    You might try one of the 16X20 Beseler print drums. If you get the dividers with the drum it is possible to process two 7X17 sheets at a time. Two 8X20s also I believe.

These drums, and motor bases, come up quite often on ebay as they were made in fairly large numbers in the 70s and 80s for amateurs to process color prints.

You can also use a 16X20 Unicolor drum, though the gaskets on these drums make them more likely to leak than the Unicolors. The Unicolor drums have the dividers built into the side of the drum.

Sandy King